PRE-SUASION: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
by Robert Cialdini
After studying professionals in various industries, Robert Cialdini found that the top persuaders spend more time crafting what to say/do before making a request. Pre-suasion is about laying the groundwork so your recipients are already receptive to your message by the time you present it. These tactics are developed based on scientific principles, and can be systematically applied in any context, from persuading your kids to cooperate, to influencing prospects and buyers to choose your product. In short, you can persuade effectively by pre-suading effectively.
In this summary, you’ll learn:
• Why it’s critical to capture and hold your audience’s attention. Understand how the human brain works and how you can use cognitive leverages like privileged moments, focusing illusion, assumed causality, attention-grabbing stimuli and cognitive closure;
• To use words, images, metaphors, or external/internal cues to shape people’s mental associations, choices and behaviors; and
• How to combine pre-suasive techniques with 6 influence principles and shared identity to get optimal results. Get insights on practical considerations like how to avoid being manipulated by others, apply pre-suasion ethically and achieve lasting change.
Who should read this:
• Leaders, entrepreneurs, marketers
• Anyone who wants to improve their influence and persuasive skills