THE CHECKLIST MANIFESTO: How To Get Things Right
by Atul Gawande
Checklists are not just about ticking boxes and mindlessly following protocol. When correctly applied, they can be used to facilitate communication, teamwork and discipline to solve a wide range of problems. These are vital in uncertain, high-stakes situations and an increasingly complex environment. . Concerned by the number of errors in the medical field—many of which are fatal—surgeon Atul Gawande set out to investigate the possible causes and solutions to such avoidable failures. He discovered a simple but powerful solution to getting things right: using checklists. In The Checklist Manifesto summary, we’ll outline Gawande’s learning journey and key insights on how to use and develop checklists
In this summary, you’ll learn:
• Why smart, highly-trained, and experienced people make avoidable mistakes regularly, and what can be done to address it;
• The differences between simple, complicated and complex problems, and how you can use checklists to address; and
• How you can develop effective checklists and use them to address a range of problems.
Who should read this:
• Leaders, professionals, coaches, trainers, people-developers.
• Anyone interested in improving personal and team effectiveness.