Find out why and how generalists can triumph in a complex, specialized world
In this book, David Epstein challenges conventional wisdom that success is best achieved through hyperspecialization, and children should be nurtured in a specific field as early as possible to give them a head-start. He uses stories and research studies to show why and how range can be equally (if not more) critical for long-term successes in a complex world.
If you find it hard to stick to a job or career path, this book shows that you’re not alone. And, if you’re already a specialist in a particular domain, this book offers interesting insights on how to expand your range to improve learning, creativity and innovation.
Here are some key takeaways you can expect from this summary:
• Know the difference between kind vs wicked learning environments, and why you need to balance specialization with range. Understand the roles of wide-sampling, range and abstraction in learning, discovery, problem-solving, creativity and innovation.
• Learn specific learning strategies that’d improve long-term results, how to tackle unfamiliar problems, tap on the outsider advantage, and combine vertical with lateral thinking for maximum creativity.
• Find out how you can discover about yourself and identify your ideal career through short-term planning, experimentation, and late-specialization. Know when to drop familiar tools, quit your existing path, and improve your forecasting abilities.
You can choose from 2 ReadinGraphics summary bundles including:
1. Graphic + Text + Audio bundle ($13.97)
• A one-page reading graphic, or infographic summary in pdf;
• A 17-page text summary in pdf; and
• A 27-min audio summary in mp3
2. Graphic + Text bundle ($9.97)
• A one-page reading graphic, or infographic summary in pdf; and
• A 17-page text summary in pdf
Order your summary bundle now![Note: You can also enjoy this summary through our Subscription Plans]
Who should read this:
• Teachers, educators, trainers and people developers
• Anyone who wants to unlock their full potential or find their ideal career path
Keywords: Personal Development, Success, Potential, Learning and Development, Career, Range, Specialists, Generalists, David Epstein