DEEP WORK: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
by Cal Newport
Deep work is about focusing without distraction on cognitively-demanding tasks. It’s vital for mastering hard things, delivering high-value outcomes and is hard to replicate. Yet, in our modern society, people are constantly distracted by emails, social media and infotainment, losing their capacity for intense focus. This book explains the concept of deep work and the rules and strategies for nurturing this valuable but increasingly-rare skill.
In this summary, you’ll learn:
• The difference between deep work and shallow work, and why you can significantly increase your value and quality of life by mastering deep work;
• The barriers to deep work and how you can overcome them; and
• The 4 rules and 18 strategies to nurture deep work and win in the new economy.
Who should read this:
• Leaders, managers and people developers
• Anyone who wants to improve personal effectiveness and success