We tend to think of mankind as the unique and inevitable masters of this Universe. In reality, we were not the only human species that existed on Earth, and most of our progress happened only in the recent past. Through a detailed account of human history, Harari presents the facts and myths of how mankind has dominated the planet, the driving forces shaping our lives and how we can think about our impact on Earth and our collective future.
In this summary, you’ll learn:
• How mankind fits in Earth’s evolutionary timeline and why we are not the inevitable masters of his planet;
• The truths about how Homo sapiens became the dominant species on Earth, and why our language and imagined realities were vital in bringing us to the top of the food-chain;
• The massive changes created in each of the 3 key human revolutions: The Cognitive Revolution, the Agricultural Revolution and the Scientific Revolution. Gain insights into how we’ve transformed our beliefs, lifestyles, imagined orders and realities with each revolution; and
• The thought-provoking insights about religion, human rights, capitalism, evolutionary success and scientific progress; come face-to-face with some of the key dilemmas and choices that we face today.
Who should read this:
• Professionals or leaders in science/technology, history, philosophy, religion and government
• Anyone interested in personal development, history, religion, sciences and life purpose