Our beliefs, conditioning and habits shape our perspectives and actions. In “The Code of the Extraordinary Mind”, Vishen Lakhiani (Founder and CEO of Mindvalley) presents 10 laws that can help you to break free of old mindsets and achieve exponential results. Lakhiani found that the human brain, like computer software, can be hacked. These laws were assimilated from his personal experiences, as well as insights from successful people like Elon Musk, Richard Branson, and Arianna Huffington. In this summary, we’ll outline the 10 laws, with 4 corresponding, progressive levels of transformation.A large part of the book is about Lakhiani’s personal journey as well as anecdotes of his interactions with successful people, and his learning experiences. We’ll now zoom in on the 4 levels of transformation, and the 10 associated laws. For more details, examples and tips, do get a copy of the book, or our complete book summary bundle.
We’ll now look at each of the 4 progressive levels of awareness, before explaining briefly how to put it all together.
How you were shaped by the world around you
Our “culturescape” is the cumulative rules, beliefs and norms that shape how we feel we should live. This section is about learning to recognize and question these rules.
• Law 1: Transcend the Culturescape. Transcending the culturescape is about stepping outside your perceived world, so you can start to recognize the relative truths that can be changed, and thereby free yourself. [Get more details about absolute vs relative truths the book / our full summary].
• Law 2: Question the Brules. A Brule is basically a bullsh**t rule. For example, most of us have been taught that to be happy and successful, we must work hard, have good grades, a good career, a happy family and save for retirement. These are all Brules. In the book, Lakhiani shares how such Brules are outdated and should be broken. He also explains the 5 main sources of Brules, and the Brules he has busted in his life (e.g. the Religion Brule, and the Hard Work Brule). Get a detailed overview of these points, as well as the 5-question “Brule Test”, in our complete book summary.
The Power to Choose Your Version of the World
Now that you can recognize and filter out the Brules in your culturescape, you’re ready to create your own rules, models and systems. Lakhiani calls this “consciousness engineering”, and the next 3 rules are related to this concept.
• Law 3: Practice Consciousness Engineering. Most of us update and upgrade our electronic gadgets and computer systems regularly, yet we don’t do the same for our beliefs and habits. Consciousness engineering is basically updating the operating system for your brain, in 2 parts: (a) Your hardware (Models of Reality, or beliefs) and (b) your software (Systems for Living, or habits). You can replace both your beliefs and habits, like how you replace parts of your computer hardware and software to optimize it.
• Law 4: Rewrite your Models of Reality. This law is about becoming replacing your disempowering beliefs with healthier and more empowering ones. In the book, Lakhiani shares many examples of how specific incidents shifted his beliefs to deliver massive results, from relationships to business profits. Get a detailed overview in our full book summary, including simple exercises you can do.
• Law 5: Upgrade your Systems for Living. This law is about consistently growing & innovating through new habits and practices. In the book / our full summary, we cover the Discover-Improve-Measure approach to enhancing your systems for living.
Transforming your Inner World
• Law 6: Bending Reality. In 2008, Lakhiani discovered a simple switch which transformed his business profitability. He basically stopped pegging his happiness to his goals. Instead, he focused on being happy in the present, while working concurrently on his vision. He calls this “bending reality”–In this state, you love what you do, ideas flow to you intuitively, you attract the right people and opportunities, and things just fall in place. There are 2 elements: (a) be happy in the now, and (b) have an exciting vision for the future, and let this vision pull you forward.
• Law 7: Live in Blissipline. “Blissipline” is the discipline of daily bliss, or being happy in the now. In the book / our full summary, we explain the 3 sources of happiness, and 3 happiness hacks you can use immediately.
• Law 8: Create a Vision for your Future. Your heart-felt goals and vision provide the “forward momentum” to pull you ahead. Lakhini explains the difference between end-goals vs mean-goals, the 12 key types of end goals, and the 3 Most Important Questions to crystallize your end-goals. You can also review all these ideas & tips at a glance with our full summary & infographic.
Changing the World
Being spiritual doesn’t mean you have to drop all goals and ambitions, or shun wealth. Extraordinary people shape their paths and their environment, changing things around them and leaving their mark on this world, by mastering the last 2 laws.
• Law 9: Be unfuckwithable. When you’re unfuckwithable, you’re so fully in touch and at peace with yourself, that you’re no longer bothered by what others say or do. You’re not afraid to dream, take bold actions, and fail, knowing you can always learn and try again. You can love and give fully, without fearing the potential loss of any person/goal/thing. Check out the book / our summary for simple exercises and tips to make become truly Unfuckwithable.
• Law 10: Embrace your Quest. At this phase, you’re ready to serve your higher calling or your quest, and make your contribution to mankind. If you’re living all the previous rules, your quest will naturally come knocking. All you need to do is to listen and take action. Even if you’re unsure what to do, just take any baby step—this expresses your intent, and allows the Universe to guide you forward.
Lakhiani ends the book with a 6-Phase practice to enhance 6 skills that are crucial for reality bending. You can get more resources online at the official Codex website. In The Code of the Extraordinary Mind summary bundle, we also outline how to start putting the 10 laws to practice using the 12 Areas of Balance as an anchor. Get a copy of the summary now!
[Warning: In challenging the Brules, Lakhiani suggests many unconventional ideas (e.g. you can be a Hindu and still eat beef, be a Christian but don’t believe in hell). Read this book only with an open mind!]
Start redefining your life today!