Have you ever wondered how you can reach your full potential? In “The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth”, John Maxwell lays out 15 laws to help you become all you can be. In this summary, we’ll outline the 15 laws of growth and zoom in on a couple of them. For the full details, examples and tips, do get a copy of the book, or get a detailed overview with our complete book summary bundle.
The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: An Overview
The 15 Laws of Growth are:
1. The Law of Intentionality
2. The Law of Awareness
3. The Law of the Mirror
4. The Law of Reflection
5. The Law of Consistency
6. The Law of Environment
7. The Law of Design
8. The Law of Pain
9. The Law of the Ladder
10. The Law of the Rubber Band
11. The Law of Trade-Offs
12. The Law of Curiosity
13. The Law of Modeling
14. The Law of Expansion
15. The Law of Contribution
These 15 laws will work for everyone, though the precise process and nature of growth will vary for each of us. Maxwell recommends that you spend 1 week on each law—to apply the exercises, journal your growth and discuss your learning points.
1. THE LAW OF INTENTIONALITY
Growth doesn’t happen by chance. You must make it happen.
There are 8 growth-gap traps that keep us from our true potential: the assumption gap, the knowledge gap, the timing gap, the mistake gap, the perfection gap, and inspiration gap, the comparison gap, and the expectation gap.
Make a shift from accidental to intentional growth, and have a deliberate plan for your personal growth.
• Ask these questions: Which direction do you want to go in life? Where’s the farthest you can imagine going?
• Take action now. The longer you wait, the less likely you’ll act. Select a resource and start learning today.
• Face your fears. Are you afraid of failure, uncertainty, financial losses, others’ opinions, or alienating your peers? Dig deep to find the faith to help you counter these fears.
2. THE LAW OF AWARENESS
Know yourself to grow yourself.
To grow, you must know yourself: your strengths, weaknesses, passions, and the gap between where you are and where you want to be.
• If you don’t know what you want, you’ll simply drift along, feeling confused and unfocused.
• If you know what you want but don’t do it, you’ll feel frustrated.
• If you know what you want and actually do it, you’ll feel focused, purposeful and fulfilled.
If you don’t have a clear direction yet, start building awareness with these 7 questions:
• What would you like to do? When you tap into your passion, it unlocks energy and excellence to improve your results.
• Why do you want to do what you’d like to do? The right motives give you the strength to persevere in face of challenges.
• What skills, talents and opportunities can you tap on to support your desire and close your gaps?
• What steps must you take to get from here to there? Be aware if each choice you make is in the right direction, take action consistently toward your goals, and make yourself accountable for following through. These will attract other like-minded people to fast-track your progress.
• Who can you learn from? Seek advice from people who excel in what you’d like to do. Be a great mentee: be teachable, prepare prior, ask great questions, and ensure you follow-through. If you can’t find direct mentors, get creative (e.g. read their books).
• Are you willing to pay the price? Most people aren’t willing to put in the hard work and sacrifices. Are you?
• Where do you need the most growth? Focus on your biggest strengths and overcome your key weaknesses.
LAWS OF GROWTH 3-15
Other Details in The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth
In the book, Maxwell shares many other personal anecdotes, life experiences and stories of people who have impacted his life and growth journey. For more details, do get a copy of the book, get our full summary bundle or visit https://www.johnmaxwell.com.
Learn how to live your full potential and be at your personal best!