YOU'RE NOT LISTENING: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
by Kate Murphy
Good listening is essential for personal and professional relationships, learning and growth. It even impacts our physical, mental and emotional well-being. And, most of us are poorer listeners than we think we are. In this book, Kate Murphy shares powerful insights to transform our mindset and approach to listening. It's not a technical how-to guide, but a resource to fundamentally change how we see and connect with people around us.
In this summary, you'll learn:
• What is listening, how it works from a neurological perspective, and why it has a profound impact on all aspects of our lives.
• How to overcome common barriers to listening, such as: assumptions, biases, distractions, conflicting views, and the tendency to focus on yourself instead of the other person.
• How to improve your listening skills and attitude to become a better listener, such as: being open and curious, directing your mental focus, listening for silences and underlying messages, creating a feedback loop, and knowing when to stop listening.
Who should read this:
• Anyone who's feeling isolated/disconnected, or wish to improve your communication skills and relationships.
• Leaders, managers, educators, counsellors, and professionals from all fields who wish to improve their interpersonal skill
The use of graphics in the summary is truly amazing and makes all the difference, particularly when it comes to stuff that’s easier explained by a chart or diagram.
All Access Subscriber
of summary infographics purchased every day
I can take in an entire book and its concepts and tools at-a-glance. The infographic images are spot on and cover the entire content. I can print the infographic poster size to put on my wall and study