Do you know of people who amass large amounts of money, only to lose them overnight? Or others who can’t seem to get out of certain poverty cycles? Perhaps, you have been struggling to create your own financial breakthrough?
Understanding the Secret to Money
“Like attracts like” – this is one of the key ideas in the international best-selling book The Secret, and it is also the central idea behind the Law of Attraction.
Rhonda Byrne explains that for many people, their need for money is so strong that it continues to attract circumstances where they need money. The secret to attracting money is to have positive feelings and beliefs about money, and focus on wealth/ the feelings that an abundance of money brings you. This in turn requires you to shift your mind-space from lack-of-money to more-than-enough-money.
How do you make that switch? Here are some ideas outlined in the book:
• Start by using make-belief, for example:
o For the next 30 days, when you see items that you desire, consciously wipe out the thought “I can’t afford that” and replace it with “I can afford that.”
o Open your bills happily, by pretending the bills you are receiving are actually cheques. Or, feel great that you are receiving so much money that the amount in your bills are small by comparison.
• You can also use positive affirmations daily e.g.
o “Money comes easily and frequently.”
o “I have more than enough.”
o “I am a money magnet.”
o “I love money and money loves me.”
o “I am receiving money every day.”
• Give money to get money: When you give money in faith that you have more to give, the Universe will deliver more money to you accordingly. Remember to give with a joyful feeling of abundance, (rather than the feeling of sacrifice, which comes from the position of lack).
Resetting your Money/Wealth Blueprint
But it doesn’t work!
Often, we hear of people who have tried using affirmations and visualizations, but still continue to slip back to old financial patterns. This is when you may need to review your wealth or financial blueprint.
According to T. Harv Eker (in his book Secrets of the Millionaire Mind), all of us have a money blueprint that works like an internal thermostat, or the default financial setting that we tend to fall back to. That’s the reason why poor people who win a lottery often don’t keep the money for long, and millionaires who go broke tend to build up their empire again quickly.
Resetting your blueprint
The only way to permanently change your level of financial success is to reset your financial thermostat, i.e. change your money blueprint.
How can you actually go about resetting your financial themostat? Well, Eker outlines 3 areas of Programming (Verbal, Modelling and Specific Incidents) that we need to address, using a 4 step process (developing awareness, understanding, disassociation and declarations). Here’s a quick overview:
Declarations vs Affirmations
Let’s take a minute to zoom in on the concept of declarations. Many of us may have heard of, or are actively using, affirmations. Eker’s technique of using declarations is different in a couple of ways:
- A declaration is a positive statement of intention that something will happen, unlike an affirmation which is stated as if the goal is already happening. [This is helpful because affirmations may trigger negative responses that backfire. For example, if you were to try the affirmation “I am a millionaire”, you may hear a little voice in your head saying “ya right, look at the rat hole that you are living in right now”, and these negative feelings could act as a negative affirmation to achieve the reverse effect.]
- Declarations carry their own vibrational frequencies – by saying them aloud and reinforcing it by touching your heart and head (see graphic above), you create and send energy vibrations throughout the cells in your body, your subconscious mind and to the universe.
In his book, Eker elaborates on how to apply the approach above to convert 17 Poverty Files to 17 Wealth Files. Read more in our book summary.
Start applying the secret to wealth with these useful links and resources: